News by the Numbers: Sept 14–20

Written by:
September 22, 2020
Lenin Nolly/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images

News by the Numbers: Sept 14–20

Stacker distills the week's news from around the world into key facts and figures. Click through to read more about some of the biggest headlines of the last week.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died on Friday at the age of 87 from metastatic pancreatic cancer. Ginsburg served as a Supreme Court justice since 1993 when she was appointed by President Bill Clinton. She leaves behind a legacy as a pioneer for women’s rights, a formidable dissenter on the bench, and a relentless defender of equality in the law.

Oracle and Walmart to own combined 20% stake in TikTok Global

President Donald Trump approved a tentative deal on Saturday that will prevent a ban on TikTok downloads in the U.S. Oracle and Walmart will own a 20% stake in the newly formed TikTok Global with the remaining 80% owned by China’s ByteDance.

Hurricane Sally leaves 500,000 without power in two states

Hurricane Sally hit the Southeast coast of the U.S. on Wednesday, growing from a Category 1 to Category 2 storm overnight. Bringing destructive flooding and winds, Sally left more than 500,000 people in Alabama and Florida without power.

$12 million settlement reached with Breonna Taylor’s family

The city of Louisville, Kentucky, reached a $12 million settlement with the family of Breonna Taylor on Tuesday. Taylor’s family filed a wrongful death lawsuit in May after Breonna was shot and killed by police executing a “no-knock” search warrant in her apartment. The settlement also included provisions for changing the way search warrants are executed and establishing strong ties between the police department and the communities it serves.

A night of firsts at the Emmys

The Emmy Awards made history this weekend not just for its virtual format, but with the winners of the evening. Zendaya became the youngest woman to win "Best Actress" in a drama series at the age of 24. "Schitt's Creek" became the first show in history to sweep all seven major categories in comedy.

Trending Now