Skip to main content

Main Area


Resources for homelessness in every state

  • South Dakota: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

    South Dakota offers federal assistance to homeless individuals through programs funded by U.S. Housing and Urban Development office, as well as through local organizations. Hotlines are available for immediate needs, while local missions also provide services.

  • Tennessee: Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services

    Information to help homeless and at-risk individuals in each county is provided by the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services. The state also provides a comprehensive list of locations to receive medical treatment.

  • Texas: Texas Health and Human Services

    For housing assistance and additional services, individuals in Texas can call 211 or reach out to Texas Health and Human Services. Resources are provided for each local area and provide services for adults with mental illness and families in need. Both permanent housing programs and temporary shelters are available.

  • Utah: Salt Lake County Homeless Services

    Local and state organizations provide services for the homeless in Utah. The Road Home is an organization with shelters, permanent housing programs, and other support services. Hotlines for local, national, and statewide programs are provided by Homeless Services of Salt Lake County.

  • Vermont: Department of Children and Families

    Vermont’s Department of Children and Families provides resources for vulnerable populations in the state. Individuals needing help during business hours can contact the agency directly or call 211 anytime, 24/7. The Vermont Coalition to End Homelessness has a list of contacts for team leaders focusing on local homeless response.

    You may also like: 100 years of military history

  • Virginia: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

    A breakdown of local resources and shelters is available for Virginia residents through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development website. Seven separate Feeding America food banks are located throughout the state.

  • Washington: Washington State Department of Commerce

    Contact information for programs to help with evictions and housing is available through the Washington State Department of Commerce. Calling 211 will help individuals find local services that can provide direct assistance.

  • Washington D.C.: U.S. Department of Human Services

    Emergency shelters are available in Washington D.C. for both men and women. Some emergency shelters are considered “low barrier” and provide 12-24 hour stays. Transitional family housing resources are available, as well.

  • West Virginia: West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources

    A list of local shelters in West Virginia is provided by the Homeless Shelter Directory and broken up by town. Hotlines connecting with various support services are available through the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources. The state’s Bureau for Children and Families can connect individuals with medical, food, and clothing resources.

  • Wisconsin: Wisconsin Department of Children and Families

    Through the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families, people who need assistance can connect with state, local, and federal resources. The agency provides mailing addresses for homeless individuals, as well as a map of facilities around the state that serve homeless youth.