#10: Green Valley, Arizona
- Population: 21,723
- Median home value: $167,800 (81% own)
- Median rent: $978 (19% rent)
- Median household income: $49,731
Recreation and learning opportunities abound in this retirement community 25 miles south of Tucson in the Sonoran Desert. The nonprofit Green Valley Recreation operates 13 recreation centers and offers more than 1,000 classes. Every March, it hosts the Southern Arizona Senior Games in which more than 1,000 participants compete in events that include bicycling, mah-jongg, tennis, and powerlifting.
#9: Englewood, Florida
- Population: 15,252
- Median home value: $162,300 (80% own)
- Median rent: $876 (20% rent)
- Median household income: $48,793
What's not to love about this beachfront town on Florida's southern Gulf coast? Shared by Charlotte and Sarasota counties, Englewood's beaches are wide and uncrowded, making them popular spots for water activities and observing the many bird species that call this part of the state home. The low-key beach town has two state parks, Stump Pass Beach State Park and Charlotte Harbor Preserve State Park.
#8: Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
- Population: 1,281
- Median home value: $926,200 (75% own)
- Median rent: $1,290 (25% rent)
- Median household income: $97,750
There’s a lot to enjoy within this town’s one square mile, including pristine beaches and a mile-long boardwalk filled with attractions, shops, and restaurants. In the summer, Rehoboth Beach hosts a free concert series.
#7: Timber Pines, Florida
- Population: 5,303
- Median home value: $149,500 (90% own)
- Median rent: $966 (10% rent)
- Median household income: $47,805
The Timber Pines Community Association, which says it’s dedicated to offering premier “country club living for active adults,” calls Timber Pines the “best-kept secret in Florida.” Residents can swim in two geothermally heated pools, golf on four courses, play tennis on eight courts, and join more than 100 clubs, classes, and organizations.
#6: South Sarasota, Florida
- Population: 5,316
- Median home value: $435,800 (70% own)
- Median rent: $965 (30% rent)
- Median household income: $66,214
South Sarasota in Sarasota County is near Roberts Bay, home to Edwards Islands Park, a pair of islands perfect for beach days, boating, and fishing. Listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, the Field Club was originally the winter home of Stanley and Sara Carroll Brown Field, of Marshall Field department store fame.
You may also like: Quiz: Do you know the country these companies are from?
#5: Jensen Beach, Florida
- Population: 13,477
- Median home value: $212,300 (75% own)
- Median rent: $1,014 (25% rent)
- Median household income: $53,920
Between Fort Pierce and West Palm Beach sits Jensen Beach, a vibrant community known for its major shopping centers, fine dining, and water sports. Jensen Beach has two golf courses and hosts an annual arts and crafts show.
#4: North River Shores, Florida
- Population: 3,663
- Median home value: $203,400 (78% own)
- Median rent: $1,221 (22% rent)
- Median household income: $52,729
North River Shores sits on the banks of the North Fork St. Lucie River in Martin County. Residents can appreciate the four waterfront neighborhood parks and a private boat ramp.
#3: Whiskey Creek, Florida
- Population: 5,030
- Median home value: $222,700 (90% own)
- Median rent: $1,170 (10% rent)
- Median household income: $73,810
Located within the Fort Myers and Cape Coral areas, the Whiskey Creek neighborhood sits near the Caloosahatchee River, which connects to the Gulf of Mexico. Community members may join the semi-private Whiskey Creek Country Club for access to an 18-hole golf course and a bar and restaurant, as well as social activities such as bridge and dancing.
#2: Ridge Wood Heights, Florida
- Population: 4,140
- Median home value: $188,200 (68% own)
- Median rent: $999 (32% rent)
- Median household income: $53,235
Located in Sarasota County, which is full of beaches and attractions, Ridge Wood Heights scored particularly high with Niche on health and fitness. The community is only a 15-minute drive to Siesta Key, a Gulf of Mexico barrier island with sandy beaches, tidal pools, and coral reefs.
#1: Lake Success, New York
- Population: 3,102
- Median home value: $1,192,800 (98% own)
- Median rent: $3,501 (2% rent)
- Median household income: $190,500
This New York village offers fitness center memberships as well as planned game and movie nights. There’s plenty of opportunity for golfing at Lake Success Golf Club or the Fresh Meadow Country Club, which has been a destination for celebrities including Babe Ruth.
You may also like: 50 college majors that earn the least money2018 All rights reserved.